Officers were elected at the May meeting for the 2010-2011 society year beginning in September. They are Shirley PATRICK, president; Dorothy HARBIN, vice-president; Kathy LUTONSKY, recording and corresponding secretary; and Wayne MCCLUNEY, treasurer.
Here are the minutes of the April Wood County Genealogical Society meeting which will be presented at the May meeting tomorrow, May 17, at 7 p.m. at the Quitman Public Library meeting room.
WOOD COUNTY GENEALOGY SOCIETY
Quitman Public Library
April 19, 2010
The meeting was called to order by President Shirley Patrick at 7:00 pm with 16 members and 10 guests. President Shirley Patrick welcomed everyone and thanked them for coming.
Our guest speaker for the evening was Don Raney. Mr. Raney is a sixth generation Texan who has been an active genealogist for over 30 years. He published a book, “Marin Varner, Texas Pioneer; 1785-1844 in September 2009. This book describes the life and adventures of his Great, Great, Great, Grandfather, Martin Varner, in Colonial Texas. He also had copies of this book for sale.
After the program the business meeting began at 8:35 pm. The minutes stood approved as presented.
Treasurer Sally Allcorn presented the following financial report:
Last Bank Statement Dated: March 1, 2010
Starting Balance Shown (03/01/10): $1,243.19
2 Single Memberships 30.00
Money from copier 5.00
Total Deposits: $ 35.00
Hometown Trophy (award for Shirley Bates) 32.16
Total Expenses: 32.16
Ending Balance Shown (03/31/10): $1,246.03
Outstanding checks: None
Total Deposits not shown: None
Current Balance: $1,246.03
The financial report stood approved as read.
A motion was made by Dorothy Harbin, seconded by Shirley Bates to pay Don Raney $50.00 for speaking to the society. Motion passed.
President Shirley Patrick reported next month will be elections of new officers. She appointed Mary Beth Ramage, Sally Allcorn, and herself to the budget committee. She also told those present to think about volunteering to serve on committees or in an officer position. Anyone who is interested in serving should call Deason Hunt or Shirley Patrick and let them know.
Mark Reid would like for someone to take over doing the name tags for the new members. Willie Kay Paredez suggested getting permanent name tags that the members purchase and keep up with. She showed two different examples of name tags from clubs that she is a member of.
John McCall reported he is working on a project that helps to get markers for Confederate Graves that do not have one. Let him know if anyone needs one or finds a grave that might need one.
Mary Beth Ramage suggested two fund raising ideas one would be publishing an obit book for the society to sell with some of the information that we have in the genealogy room and the other was a 1st Families certificate which we could sell. The first families would have to fill out a form and the society would have to verify information that is on the form before giving out the certificate. Tyler does this and sells them for $25.00 each.
Mr. Raney left a case of ten books to sell with the society receiving a commission. Anyone who wants to purchase one needs to contact Dorothy Harbin.
The meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.
Minutes were taken by recording/corresponding secretary Kathy Lutonsky.
The regular monthly meeting (on March 15) is approaching and only a week away. Here are some items of interest about the meeting:
1. The program will feature guest speaker Joe Hayden of Quitman talking about Wood County veterans. Vice-president Dorothy Harbin is working on some additional ideas to go with that theme.
2. If there is time, we may also be able to work on the accumulation of obituaries in the Genealogy Research Center. You might want to bring some scissors and glue sticks just in case.
3. President Shirley Patrick has sent a message asking that we let members know that she will be unable to attend the March meeting due to grandchildren visiting over Spring Break, and she has ask the vice-president to preside at the meeting.
4. Dorothy is still working on the program for April and expects to hear soon about a confirmed speaker about several of the earliest settlers families in the county.
5. Also be aware that election of officers for next year is scheduled for the May meeting every year. If you have ideas, etc. you might contact President Patrick to pass on to the nominating committee.
6. If you want to get with the group meeting before the meeting at Peralta’s in Quitman, we gather and visit and eat starting at 5:30 p.m.