January Meeting Notes

Notes from the January 17, 2011 regular monthly meeting of the society:

1. Prior to the meeting, 15 members met at Peralta’s Mexican Restaurant in Quitman to eat and talk. We had a great time.

2. During the pre-meeting help time from 6 to 7 p.m. at the library and later during the workshop portion of the regular meeting we were able to help one guest and two members with their research and one with getting some computer problems worked out.

3. Various reports were received in the business meeting. Some highlights:

a) About two-thirds of members have renewed from last year. Two members are deceased and four others have not decided to renew. Current bylaws give members until January 31 to renew. Others are expected before the end of the month. Also several new members have joined this year. A more detailed report will come in later meetings after the January 31 deadline.

b) The Constitution and bylaws revision committee appointed in November has met and come up with a preliminary document. It will be finalized and presented at the February meeting with plans to vote on any changes at the March meeting. Members will receive notification of any changes following the February meeting.

c) Treasurer Wayne McCluneyreported on several items. Chairs will not need to be purchased, and he reported some prices on book carts and got further details on our needs there. He will follow up on that. A method to more efficiently keep records of membership fees is under discussion and will be reported on at a later meeting. He is still looking into tax and non-profit status information. Also, it was proposed and adopted that we would go to a purchase order system to handle expenditures. That would be included in an bylaw revisions.

d) Membership’s Deason Hunt proposed a Focus of the Collection statement and Acquisitions policy for the society materials in our research center and archive at the library. It was adopted. Details will be published here in a later posting.

e) Treasurer McCluney also reported that it is in the works for us to solicit a statement from the City of Quitman that while our archives are housed at the library that they are in fact owned by the society and not the library or city. This would protect us in case of changes in librarians or city officials over the years.

f) The new society sign which hangs on the library sign pole at the edge of the street in front of the library is not displayed. Thanks to Vice-president Dorothy Harbin who came up with the idea and presented the design and secured someone to make the sign. Also Treasurer McCluney helped with the finalization of getting the sign. Librarian Delene Delarosa secured help from city workers to have the sign placed on the pole.

g) Members worked on processing latest obituaries for inclusion in our obituary books.

More details will be available when the minutes of the January meeting are submitted for approval.

The new society street sign

Vice-president Dorothy Harbin with our new sign outside the library

Best Wishes of the Season

We find ourselves in the midst of the Christmas-New Year holiday season, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support of the society during the past year. We had a great party Dec. 20 at the home of President Shirley Patrick. Thanks to her for hosting and preparing and for all those attending and bringing goodies to eat. Here are some pictures taken by member Martha Hunt to help us share the memories of that evening.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

October 2010 Meeting Minutes

WOOD COUNTY GENEALOGY SOCIETY
Monthly Meeting
Quitman Public Library
October 19, 2010

The meeting was called to order by President Shirley Patrick at 7:00 pm with 10 members present. President Shirley Patrick welcomed everyone and thanked them for coming.

The minutes stood approved as presented.

The financial report was passed. Treasurer Wayne McCluney reported he have just received the financial information and would have two reports at next month’s meeting. He did report the September 30, 2010 bank statement showed a balance of $1,703.50.

OLD BUSINESS:

Deason Hunt reported the genealogy room had been rearranged and everything for the most part has been put back. The machines are on the far wall and everything is up and running. The fax machine that is also a printer for the computer is not working. Wayne McCluney, Nita Munoz and Deason Hunt all reported they had printers there were willing to donate to the society.

The Hwy 80 garage sale made $90.00 dollars and made 3 contacts. Everyone who worked had a good time.

NEW BUSINESS:

Deason Hunt gave a report on an email he received from Delene DelaRosa about Michael Aday, HeirLoom Archivist from Texas A&M University – Commerce regarding digitization of historical and genealogical records, photographs, etc. There is an IMLS grant that covers the software to digitize as well as Mr. Aday’s time to train anyone interested how to use the digitization program and how it links to a central website location at A&M University. After discussion it was decided to have a called meeting for this presentation at 5:30 on a Monday with subway for supper. Deason will contact Delene about setting up a meeting with Mr. Aday to speak with the society.

There was a discussion about having a Christmas party on the 3rd Monday of December which is the 20th at 6 pm at President Shirley Patrick’s house.

Deason Hunt went over a hand out he passed out to everyone present. The hand out was ideas from several members who have been talking about them off and on. The hand out was an attempt to get them on the table so the society could start thinking about them.

Deason Hunt reported he would like to society to find ways to be of more help for the members that don’t live in Wood County. He asked everyone to think of ideas and ways to help them more.

After discussion a motion was made by Babara Coleman seconded by Nita Munoz to donate a book in memory of Dorothy Harbin’s husband Bud Harbin.

November meeting: anyone wishing to meet at 5 pm at Peralta’s for supper is welcome. The group will then return to the library to be available to help anyone with research from 6-7 and the regular society meeting will begin at 7pm

The meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.
Minutes were taken by recording/corresponding secretary Kathy Lutonsky

Covered Dish Dinner for Sept. Meeting

Next Monday (Sept. 20) at 6:30 p.m., the Wood County Genealogical Society will kick-off its 2010-2011 year with a covered dish dinner in the Shamburger Room at the Quitman Public Library. We will eat, visit, and probably talk about some things that we might like to do this year. We hope that you will be able to join us.

It would be helpful if you would contact Dorothy Harbin ( 903-967-2458 – home, 903-571-4965 – cell, reddot77@aol.com) this week and let her know if you are coming and perhaps if you plan to bring meat, veggies, salad, dessert, breads, etc. Deason Hunt is bringing fried chicken and a dessert and eating utensils and plates. Dorothy is bringing iced tea and ice. Shirley Bates and Lahoma Clanton are providing a ham, Sally Allcorn a casserole and salad, Willie Kay Paredez unsweet tea and glasses, Vickie Petersen burritos. Those are all we’ve heard from Tuesday night. Remember, potluck means bring whatever you feel comfortable bringing. Also, if you would like to bring guests feel free to do so.

We won’t meet at Peralta’s at 5:30 p.m. this month only.

Also, MEMBERSHIP FEES for the 2010-2011 year ARE DUE IN SEPTEMBER. You may mail them to Treasurer, Wood County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 832, Quitman, Texas 75783
OR
you can bring them to the meeting next Monday night.

We look forward to seeing you next Monday where we’ll do social networking the old fashioned way: side by side and face to face.

Members Tour Wood County Historical Museum

A group of members who gathered for the July “eating meeting” followed up fellowship, fun, and planning for the WCGS booth at the Old Settlers Reunion August 4-7 in Quitman and finished the evening touring the Wood County Historical Museum in Quitman. Hosts were members Lou Mallory and Barbara Coleman, members of the Wood County Historical Commission. Lou is president of the historical commission.

WCGS members tour historical museum

From left, front row, Patsy McCall, Barbara Coleman, Dorothy Harbin, Nita Munoz, Lou Mallory, Lakoma Clanton, back row, John McCall, Ronnie Vance, Jean Davis, Gene Pilgrim, Karen Pilgrim, Sally Allcorn, Mary Beth Ramage. Inset, photographer Shirley Bates.

Plans for Old Settlers Reunion

Plans for the Wood County Genealogical Society participation in the Old Settlers Reunion August 4-7 in Quitman were finalized over dinner July 19.

Members are invited to drop by and look at our exhibits and visit from 6-10 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday of that week.

Here’s a summary of some of our volunteer helpers/items for the reunion exhibits:
Shirley Patrick
• 10×10 Canopy
• Personal Family Books
• Marriage Books
• Alba Books
Nita Munoz
• Her Display Books
Ronnie Vance
• Tables & Chairs
• His Cemetery & family books
Dorothy Harbin
• Banner
• T-shirts
• Help with First Day setup
Shirley Bates
• Exhibit Poster
• Table Covers
• Library Family History Scrapbooks
• Beginning Research Paper
• Help with first day setup
Deason Hunt
• 2 library easels
• library wire rack
• Big Maps from Library
• Sign with hours for Hist. Museum
• Pictures for Digital picture Frame
• Papers for Please take 1 rack
• Membership Applications
• Water
• Pens-Pencils
Sally Allcorn
• Digital Picture Frame
• Index to Pictorial History
John McCall
• Help with First Day setup
• Period dress
Who? I forgot
• Big Fan
Need a Volunteer
• Extension Cords
• Tarp in case of big blowing rain
If I forgot you or something
• Email me, bring it, or do it!

Minutes of April Society Meeting

Here are the minutes of the April Wood County Genealogical Society meeting which will be presented at the May meeting tomorrow, May 17, at 7 p.m. at the Quitman Public Library meeting room.

WOOD COUNTY GENEALOGY SOCIETY
Monthly Meeting
Quitman Public Library
April 19, 2010

The meeting was called to order by President Shirley Patrick at 7:00 pm with 16 members and 10 guests. President Shirley Patrick welcomed everyone and thanked them for coming.

Our guest speaker for the evening was Don Raney. Mr. Raney is a sixth generation Texan who has been an active genealogist for over 30 years. He published a book, “Marin Varner, Texas Pioneer; 1785-1844 in September 2009. This book describes the life and adventures of his Great, Great, Great, Grandfather, Martin Varner, in Colonial Texas. He also had copies of this book for sale.

After the program the business meeting began at 8:35 pm. The minutes stood approved as presented.

Treasurer Sally Allcorn presented the following financial report:
Last Bank Statement Dated: March 1, 2010
Starting Balance Shown (03/01/10): $1,243.19
Deposits:
2 Single Memberships 30.00
Money from copier 5.00
Total Deposits: $ 35.00

Expenses:
Hometown Trophy (award for Shirley Bates) 32.16
Total Expenses: 32.16

Ending Balance Shown (03/31/10): $1,246.03

Outstanding checks: None

Total Deposits not shown: None

Current Balance: $1,246.03

The financial report stood approved as read.

Old Business:
A motion was made by Dorothy Harbin, seconded by Shirley Bates to pay Don Raney $50.00 for speaking to the society. Motion passed.

President Shirley Patrick reported next month will be elections of new officers. She appointed Mary Beth Ramage, Sally Allcorn, and herself to the budget committee. She also told those present to think about volunteering to serve on committees or in an officer position. Anyone who is interested in serving should call Deason Hunt or Shirley Patrick and let them know.

Mark Reid would like for someone to take over doing the name tags for the new members. Willie Kay Paredez suggested getting permanent name tags that the members purchase and keep up with. She showed two different examples of name tags from clubs that she is a member of.

New Business:
John McCall reported he is working on a project that helps to get markers for Confederate Graves that do not have one. Let him know if anyone needs one or finds a grave that might need one.

Mary Beth Ramage suggested two fund raising ideas one would be publishing an obit book for the society to sell with some of the information that we have in the genealogy room and the other was a 1st Families certificate which we could sell. The first families would have to fill out a form and the society would have to verify information that is on the form before giving out the certificate. Tyler does this and sells them for $25.00 each.

Mr. Raney left a case of ten books to sell with the society receiving a commission. Anyone who wants to purchase one needs to contact Dorothy Harbin.

The meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.

Minutes were taken by recording/corresponding secretary Kathy Lutonsky.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 166 other followers