Signups Increasing for Morgan Workshops

Fifty people from Wood County and all over East Texas have signed up for the Genealogy Workshop to be conducted by George Morgan of AHA Seminars (aka one of the Genealogy Guys from the podcast of that name) next Friday. While walk-ins will be welcomed, there is a room size limit. To be sure of a spot, you can pre-register by calling the library at (903) 763-4191, Deason Hunt, or by email to wcgstx@gmail.com. My prediction is that you will learn a lot and have a great time.

Thanks to Our Volunteers

Thanks to all of you who volunteer time and money (memberships and donations and books, and supplies, etc.) to keep our society going. Right now we have officers and committees doing things we can’t see to help us accomplish our group goals. Every bit helps whether its a short-time or long-range thing that you do.

For instance just recently we had members answering queries, meeting with visitor researchers in the library and over the telephone, sending suggestions and ideas for our organization and for resources for our members. Mark Reid, Barbara Nichols, and Vice-president Dorothy Harbin have recently been helping with researchers. Dorothy and Mary Ann Niswanger recently spent time working on organizing books and recording usage of books in our library. Shirley Bates is working on getting some publications out and ready for sale. The currently operating Nominations Committee (Barbara Coleman, Secretary Kathy Lutonsky, and Mary Ann Niswanger) and budget committees (Treasurer Wayne McCluney, Deason Hunt, and Ethel Kelley) are working behind the scenes to be ready for the May meeting. President Shirley Patrick looks for ideas for online resource links and examples of what other societies are doing and forwards them to the newsletter. And, recently webpage participants such as Bill Lukenbill, Doug McCreight, and Paula Randolph have joined in helping answer others’ queries. I know that I am leaving people out because we have just had a lot of work by groups like the Constitution Revision Committee (Ronnie Vance, Shirley Bates, and Wayne McCluney) and other service such as the help Sally Allcorn gave to Forever Young recently. We appreciate also people who move chairs and tables at meetings, who show up for our programs and business discussions and, not least, join us for eating at Peralta’s and helping other with research before regular meetings. Everybody who participates helps us be more successful.

We welcome suggestions, help, etc., and if you see something that needs doing, just jump in. We appreciate all your time and efforts. We’ll be suggesting things that people can do over the next few months to help out. If you see something you would like to do, let us know.

Interested in Computer Skills Classes?

An on-going discussion for several months is computer skills classes. At the March meeting, a request for class topics included these:
1) basics, 2) saving files, 3) basic email including forwards and sending pictures, 4) basic word processing (especially MS Word), and 5) scanning.

If you have other suggestions or would like to let us know if you would be interested in attending (and what interests you the most), please email Deason Hunt at netexas@gmail.com. If you do not have email access you can call Deason or see him at the April regular meeting.

Vice-president Dorothy Harbin recently secured use of computers for such a class, but if you have a wireless-enabled laptop or netbook, you could bring your own. Let us know about whether or not you could bring your own.

Classes have not been scheduled, but we possibly could start setting dates and times soon.

Nominating, Budget Committees Appointed

The Nominating Committee to recommend officers for the 2011-2012 society year was appointed at the March regular meeting. The committee will present its report of recommendations at the May regular meeting at which time officers will be elected. Nominating Committee members are Barbara Coleman, Kathy Lutonsky, and Mary Ann Niswanger.

The four offices to be filled are president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. Because of constitutional limitation on the number of consecutive terms officers can serve, presently serving president, vice-president, and secretary must be replaced.

Anyone willing to be considered for serving in any of the officer positions or anyone wishing to suggest members for any of the positions can contact Kathy at lutonsky5@co.wood.tx.us.

The Budget Committee will submit for approval a proposed budget for the 2011-2012 society year at the regular May meeting. Members of that committee are Treasurer Wayne McCluney, Deason Hunt, and Ethel Kelley. Anyone wishing to submit budget proposals to the committee may contact Wayne at fwaynemc@peoplescom.net.

To contact Kathy or Wayne by postal mail, you may write them at Nominating Committee (or Budget Committee) P. O. Box 832, Quitman, TX 75783.

January Meeting Notes

Notes from the January 17, 2011 regular monthly meeting of the society:

1. Prior to the meeting, 15 members met at Peralta’s Mexican Restaurant in Quitman to eat and talk. We had a great time.

2. During the pre-meeting help time from 6 to 7 p.m. at the library and later during the workshop portion of the regular meeting we were able to help one guest and two members with their research and one with getting some computer problems worked out.

3. Various reports were received in the business meeting. Some highlights:

a) About two-thirds of members have renewed from last year. Two members are deceased and four others have not decided to renew. Current bylaws give members until January 31 to renew. Others are expected before the end of the month. Also several new members have joined this year. A more detailed report will come in later meetings after the January 31 deadline.

b) The Constitution and bylaws revision committee appointed in November has met and come up with a preliminary document. It will be finalized and presented at the February meeting with plans to vote on any changes at the March meeting. Members will receive notification of any changes following the February meeting.

c) Treasurer Wayne McCluneyreported on several items. Chairs will not need to be purchased, and he reported some prices on book carts and got further details on our needs there. He will follow up on that. A method to more efficiently keep records of membership fees is under discussion and will be reported on at a later meeting. He is still looking into tax and non-profit status information. Also, it was proposed and adopted that we would go to a purchase order system to handle expenditures. That would be included in an bylaw revisions.

d) Membership’s Deason Hunt proposed a Focus of the Collection statement and Acquisitions policy for the society materials in our research center and archive at the library. It was adopted. Details will be published here in a later posting.

e) Treasurer McCluney also reported that it is in the works for us to solicit a statement from the City of Quitman that while our archives are housed at the library that they are in fact owned by the society and not the library or city. This would protect us in case of changes in librarians or city officials over the years.

f) The new society sign which hangs on the library sign pole at the edge of the street in front of the library is not displayed. Thanks to Vice-president Dorothy Harbin who came up with the idea and presented the design and secured someone to make the sign. Also Treasurer McCluney helped with the finalization of getting the sign. Librarian Delene Delarosa secured help from city workers to have the sign placed on the pole.

g) Members worked on processing latest obituaries for inclusion in our obituary books.

More details will be available when the minutes of the January meeting are submitted for approval.

The new society street sign

Vice-president Dorothy Harbin with our new sign outside the library

Best Wishes of the Season

We find ourselves in the midst of the Christmas-New Year holiday season, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support of the society during the past year. We had a great party Dec. 20 at the home of President Shirley Patrick. Thanks to her for hosting and preparing and for all those attending and bringing goodies to eat. Here are some pictures taken by member Martha Hunt to help us share the memories of that evening.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

October 2010 Meeting Minutes

WOOD COUNTY GENEALOGY SOCIETY
Monthly Meeting
Quitman Public Library
October 19, 2010

The meeting was called to order by President Shirley Patrick at 7:00 pm with 10 members present. President Shirley Patrick welcomed everyone and thanked them for coming.

The minutes stood approved as presented.

The financial report was passed. Treasurer Wayne McCluney reported he have just received the financial information and would have two reports at next month’s meeting. He did report the September 30, 2010 bank statement showed a balance of $1,703.50.

OLD BUSINESS:

Deason Hunt reported the genealogy room had been rearranged and everything for the most part has been put back. The machines are on the far wall and everything is up and running. The fax machine that is also a printer for the computer is not working. Wayne McCluney, Nita Munoz and Deason Hunt all reported they had printers there were willing to donate to the society.

The Hwy 80 garage sale made $90.00 dollars and made 3 contacts. Everyone who worked had a good time.

NEW BUSINESS:

Deason Hunt gave a report on an email he received from Delene DelaRosa about Michael Aday, HeirLoom Archivist from Texas A&M University – Commerce regarding digitization of historical and genealogical records, photographs, etc. There is an IMLS grant that covers the software to digitize as well as Mr. Aday’s time to train anyone interested how to use the digitization program and how it links to a central website location at A&M University. After discussion it was decided to have a called meeting for this presentation at 5:30 on a Monday with subway for supper. Deason will contact Delene about setting up a meeting with Mr. Aday to speak with the society.

There was a discussion about having a Christmas party on the 3rd Monday of December which is the 20th at 6 pm at President Shirley Patrick’s house.

Deason Hunt went over a hand out he passed out to everyone present. The hand out was ideas from several members who have been talking about them off and on. The hand out was an attempt to get them on the table so the society could start thinking about them.

Deason Hunt reported he would like to society to find ways to be of more help for the members that don’t live in Wood County. He asked everyone to think of ideas and ways to help them more.

After discussion a motion was made by Babara Coleman seconded by Nita Munoz to donate a book in memory of Dorothy Harbin’s husband Bud Harbin.

November meeting: anyone wishing to meet at 5 pm at Peralta’s for supper is welcome. The group will then return to the library to be available to help anyone with research from 6-7 and the regular society meeting will begin at 7pm

The meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.
Minutes were taken by recording/corresponding secretary Kathy Lutonsky

Covered Dish Dinner for Sept. Meeting

Next Monday (Sept. 20) at 6:30 p.m., the Wood County Genealogical Society will kick-off its 2010-2011 year with a covered dish dinner in the Shamburger Room at the Quitman Public Library. We will eat, visit, and probably talk about some things that we might like to do this year. We hope that you will be able to join us.

It would be helpful if you would contact Dorothy Harbin ( 903-967-2458 – home, 903-571-4965 – cell, reddot77@aol.com) this week and let her know if you are coming and perhaps if you plan to bring meat, veggies, salad, dessert, breads, etc. Deason Hunt is bringing fried chicken and a dessert and eating utensils and plates. Dorothy is bringing iced tea and ice. Shirley Bates and Lahoma Clanton are providing a ham, Sally Allcorn a casserole and salad, Willie Kay Paredez unsweet tea and glasses, Vickie Petersen burritos. Those are all we’ve heard from Tuesday night. Remember, potluck means bring whatever you feel comfortable bringing. Also, if you would like to bring guests feel free to do so.

We won’t meet at Peralta’s at 5:30 p.m. this month only.

Also, MEMBERSHIP FEES for the 2010-2011 year ARE DUE IN SEPTEMBER. You may mail them to Treasurer, Wood County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 832, Quitman, Texas 75783
OR
you can bring them to the meeting next Monday night.

We look forward to seeing you next Monday where we’ll do social networking the old fashioned way: side by side and face to face.

Members Tour Wood County Historical Museum

A group of members who gathered for the July “eating meeting” followed up fellowship, fun, and planning for the WCGS booth at the Old Settlers Reunion August 4-7 in Quitman and finished the evening touring the Wood County Historical Museum in Quitman. Hosts were members Lou Mallory and Barbara Coleman, members of the Wood County Historical Commission. Lou is president of the historical commission.

WCGS members tour historical museum

From left, front row, Patsy McCall, Barbara Coleman, Dorothy Harbin, Nita Munoz, Lou Mallory, Lakoma Clanton, back row, John McCall, Ronnie Vance, Jean Davis, Gene Pilgrim, Karen Pilgrim, Sally Allcorn, Mary Beth Ramage. Inset, photographer Shirley Bates.

Plans for Old Settlers Reunion

Plans for the Wood County Genealogical Society participation in the Old Settlers Reunion August 4-7 in Quitman were finalized over dinner July 19.

Members are invited to drop by and look at our exhibits and visit from 6-10 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday of that week.

Here’s a summary of some of our volunteer helpers/items for the reunion exhibits:
Shirley Patrick
• 10×10 Canopy
• Personal Family Books
• Marriage Books
• Alba Books
Nita Munoz
• Her Display Books
Ronnie Vance
• Tables & Chairs
• His Cemetery & family books
Dorothy Harbin
• Banner
• T-shirts
• Help with First Day setup
Shirley Bates
• Exhibit Poster
• Table Covers
• Library Family History Scrapbooks
• Beginning Research Paper
• Help with first day setup
Deason Hunt
• 2 library easels
• library wire rack
• Big Maps from Library
• Sign with hours for Hist. Museum
• Pictures for Digital picture Frame
• Papers for Please take 1 rack
• Membership Applications
• Water
• Pens-Pencils
Sally Allcorn
• Digital Picture Frame
• Index to Pictorial History
John McCall
• Help with First Day setup
• Period dress
Who? I forgot
• Big Fan
Need a Volunteer
• Extension Cords
• Tarp in case of big blowing rain
If I forgot you or something
• Email me, bring it, or do it!

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 146 other followers