Thanks to Our Volunteers

Thanks to all of you who volunteer time and money (memberships and donations and books, and supplies, etc.) to keep our society going. Right now we have officers and committees doing things we can’t see to help us accomplish our group goals. Every bit helps whether its a short-time or long-range thing that you do.

For instance just recently we had members answering queries, meeting with visitor researchers in the library and over the telephone, sending suggestions and ideas for our organization and for resources for our members. Mark Reid, Barbara Nichols, and Vice-president Dorothy Harbin have recently been helping with researchers. Dorothy and Mary Ann Niswanger recently spent time working on organizing books and recording usage of books in our library. Shirley Bates is working on getting some publications out and ready for sale. The currently operating Nominations Committee (Barbara Coleman, Secretary Kathy Lutonsky, and Mary Ann Niswanger) and budget committees (Treasurer Wayne McCluney, Deason Hunt, and Ethel Kelley) are working behind the scenes to be ready for the May meeting. President Shirley Patrick looks for ideas for online resource links and examples of what other societies are doing and forwards them to the newsletter. And, recently webpage participants such as Bill Lukenbill, Doug McCreight, and Paula Randolph have joined in helping answer others’ queries. I know that I am leaving people out because we have just had a lot of work by groups like the Constitution Revision Committee (Ronnie Vance, Shirley Bates, and Wayne McCluney) and other service such as the help Sally Allcorn gave to Forever Young recently. We appreciate also people who move chairs and tables at meetings, who show up for our programs and business discussions and, not least, join us for eating at Peralta’s and helping other with research before regular meetings. Everybody who participates helps us be more successful.

We welcome suggestions, help, etc., and if you see something that needs doing, just jump in. We appreciate all your time and efforts. We’ll be suggesting things that people can do over the next few months to help out. If you see something you would like to do, let us know.

Interested in Computer Skills Classes?

An on-going discussion for several months is computer skills classes. At the March meeting, a request for class topics included these:
1) basics, 2) saving files, 3) basic email including forwards and sending pictures, 4) basic word processing (especially MS Word), and 5) scanning.

If you have other suggestions or would like to let us know if you would be interested in attending (and what interests you the most), please email Deason Hunt at netexas@gmail.com. If you do not have email access you can call Deason or see him at the April regular meeting.

Vice-president Dorothy Harbin recently secured use of computers for such a class, but if you have a wireless-enabled laptop or netbook, you could bring your own. Let us know about whether or not you could bring your own.

Classes have not been scheduled, but we possibly could start setting dates and times soon.

McCreight Query Reply #2

The following reply was sent from Vice-president Dorothy Harbin to a McCreight query first posted here as a response to an inquiry by member Mark Reid. Reference post from January 2011: Query: McCreight (and response)

… Since you stated that the Matthew ( wife – Winney Allen) is not the one, but the Charity was his wife. We have to deduct that there was another Matthew McCright (above) BUT, I found your Matthew (Charity) whose father was Quinton McCreight ( no wife given.
Here’s the line up:
Quinton McCreight ( no wife)
Matthew ” (wife – Charity) Bn `1785- 1841– Matthew
Thomas Newton McCright – (wife – Mary “Pop” Mann) Bn 1825-1863
marr. 12 Nov. 1850
Dd- 7 Apr. 1863- Chicago, Ill.
Quinton A. McCright – Born & Died, 18 Sept. 1852 (Infant)

Thomas Newton had a brother – Quinton A McCright – born 1831 – Ga. – Dd – ? – Texas
There was a Thomas V. McCreight born 1815-died 2 Oct.1861, – Wood Co. TX.

Your great grandmother may have gone with her brother-in-law to where you stated, but it was not her son, as he was an infant and died same day.

******** According to LDS records, is where I found this info, there was a contributor and her name is MARY FEAR – E-MAIL address – mfear4@yahoo.com

About the grave covered in water, there should not be any as graves and church were moved to make way for the lake. …

Notice of March Meeting Vote on Constitution Revisions

The committee appointed to study and prepare revisions to the Wood County Texas Genealogical Society Constitution and Bylaws reported proposed revisions at the regular February meeting of the society in a presentation given by committee member Ronnie Vance. Notice was given at that time by presiding officer, Vice-president Dorothy Harbin, of intention to vote on the revisions at the regular March 2011 meeting. That announcement and this publication is the official notice to members. A copy of the revisions was distributed at the meeting. A copy is also posted at the member-only page which can be accessed from the link at the upper right portion of this page.

January Meeting Notes

Notes from the January 17, 2011 regular monthly meeting of the society:

1. Prior to the meeting, 15 members met at Peralta’s Mexican Restaurant in Quitman to eat and talk. We had a great time.

2. During the pre-meeting help time from 6 to 7 p.m. at the library and later during the workshop portion of the regular meeting we were able to help one guest and two members with their research and one with getting some computer problems worked out.

3. Various reports were received in the business meeting. Some highlights:

a) About two-thirds of members have renewed from last year. Two members are deceased and four others have not decided to renew. Current bylaws give members until January 31 to renew. Others are expected before the end of the month. Also several new members have joined this year. A more detailed report will come in later meetings after the January 31 deadline.

b) The Constitution and bylaws revision committee appointed in November has met and come up with a preliminary document. It will be finalized and presented at the February meeting with plans to vote on any changes at the March meeting. Members will receive notification of any changes following the February meeting.

c) Treasurer Wayne McCluneyreported on several items. Chairs will not need to be purchased, and he reported some prices on book carts and got further details on our needs there. He will follow up on that. A method to more efficiently keep records of membership fees is under discussion and will be reported on at a later meeting. He is still looking into tax and non-profit status information. Also, it was proposed and adopted that we would go to a purchase order system to handle expenditures. That would be included in an bylaw revisions.

d) Membership’s Deason Hunt proposed a Focus of the Collection statement and Acquisitions policy for the society materials in our research center and archive at the library. It was adopted. Details will be published here in a later posting.

e) Treasurer McCluney also reported that it is in the works for us to solicit a statement from the City of Quitman that while our archives are housed at the library that they are in fact owned by the society and not the library or city. This would protect us in case of changes in librarians or city officials over the years.

f) The new society sign which hangs on the library sign pole at the edge of the street in front of the library is not displayed. Thanks to Vice-president Dorothy Harbin who came up with the idea and presented the design and secured someone to make the sign. Also Treasurer McCluney helped with the finalization of getting the sign. Librarian Delene Delarosa secured help from city workers to have the sign placed on the pole.

g) Members worked on processing latest obituaries for inclusion in our obituary books.

More details will be available when the minutes of the January meeting are submitted for approval.

The new society street sign

Vice-president Dorothy Harbin with our new sign outside the library

Correction to: Our Christmas Party Dec. 20th Posted on December 6, 2010

The phone number to arrange a ride to the party is 903-967-7296. Thanks to Vice-president Dorothy Harbin for mentioning this. I hope no one had a problem using the incorrect number. dh

October 2010 Meeting Minutes

WOOD COUNTY GENEALOGY SOCIETY
Monthly Meeting
Quitman Public Library
October 19, 2010

The meeting was called to order by President Shirley Patrick at 7:00 pm with 10 members present. President Shirley Patrick welcomed everyone and thanked them for coming.

The minutes stood approved as presented.

The financial report was passed. Treasurer Wayne McCluney reported he have just received the financial information and would have two reports at next month’s meeting. He did report the September 30, 2010 bank statement showed a balance of $1,703.50.

OLD BUSINESS:

Deason Hunt reported the genealogy room had been rearranged and everything for the most part has been put back. The machines are on the far wall and everything is up and running. The fax machine that is also a printer for the computer is not working. Wayne McCluney, Nita Munoz and Deason Hunt all reported they had printers there were willing to donate to the society.

The Hwy 80 garage sale made $90.00 dollars and made 3 contacts. Everyone who worked had a good time.

NEW BUSINESS:

Deason Hunt gave a report on an email he received from Delene DelaRosa about Michael Aday, HeirLoom Archivist from Texas A&M University – Commerce regarding digitization of historical and genealogical records, photographs, etc. There is an IMLS grant that covers the software to digitize as well as Mr. Aday’s time to train anyone interested how to use the digitization program and how it links to a central website location at A&M University. After discussion it was decided to have a called meeting for this presentation at 5:30 on a Monday with subway for supper. Deason will contact Delene about setting up a meeting with Mr. Aday to speak with the society.

There was a discussion about having a Christmas party on the 3rd Monday of December which is the 20th at 6 pm at President Shirley Patrick’s house.

Deason Hunt went over a hand out he passed out to everyone present. The hand out was ideas from several members who have been talking about them off and on. The hand out was an attempt to get them on the table so the society could start thinking about them.

Deason Hunt reported he would like to society to find ways to be of more help for the members that don’t live in Wood County. He asked everyone to think of ideas and ways to help them more.

After discussion a motion was made by Babara Coleman seconded by Nita Munoz to donate a book in memory of Dorothy Harbin’s husband Bud Harbin.

November meeting: anyone wishing to meet at 5 pm at Peralta’s for supper is welcome. The group will then return to the library to be available to help anyone with research from 6-7 and the regular society meeting will begin at 7pm

The meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.
Minutes were taken by recording/corresponding secretary Kathy Lutonsky

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 168 other followers