January Meeting Notes

Notes from the January 17, 2011 regular monthly meeting of the society:

1. Prior to the meeting, 15 members met at Peralta’s Mexican Restaurant in Quitman to eat and talk. We had a great time.

2. During the pre-meeting help time from 6 to 7 p.m. at the library and later during the workshop portion of the regular meeting we were able to help one guest and two members with their research and one with getting some computer problems worked out.

3. Various reports were received in the business meeting. Some highlights:

a) About two-thirds of members have renewed from last year. Two members are deceased and four others have not decided to renew. Current bylaws give members until January 31 to renew. Others are expected before the end of the month. Also several new members have joined this year. A more detailed report will come in later meetings after the January 31 deadline.

b) The Constitution and bylaws revision committee appointed in November has met and come up with a preliminary document. It will be finalized and presented at the February meeting with plans to vote on any changes at the March meeting. Members will receive notification of any changes following the February meeting.

c) Treasurer Wayne McCluneyreported on several items. Chairs will not need to be purchased, and he reported some prices on book carts and got further details on our needs there. He will follow up on that. A method to more efficiently keep records of membership fees is under discussion and will be reported on at a later meeting. He is still looking into tax and non-profit status information. Also, it was proposed and adopted that we would go to a purchase order system to handle expenditures. That would be included in an bylaw revisions.

d) Membership’s Deason Hunt proposed a Focus of the Collection statement and Acquisitions policy for the society materials in our research center and archive at the library. It was adopted. Details will be published here in a later posting.

e) Treasurer McCluney also reported that it is in the works for us to solicit a statement from the City of Quitman that while our archives are housed at the library that they are in fact owned by the society and not the library or city. This would protect us in case of changes in librarians or city officials over the years.

f) The new society sign which hangs on the library sign pole at the edge of the street in front of the library is not displayed. Thanks to Vice-president Dorothy Harbin who came up with the idea and presented the design and secured someone to make the sign. Also Treasurer McCluney helped with the finalization of getting the sign. Librarian Delene Delarosa secured help from city workers to have the sign placed on the pole.

g) Members worked on processing latest obituaries for inclusion in our obituary books.

More details will be available when the minutes of the January meeting are submitted for approval.

The new society street sign

Vice-president Dorothy Harbin with our new sign outside the library

Society Meeting Schedule Tomorrow (Jan. 17)

Wood County (Tx) Genealogical Society Calendar
Monday, January 17

5:00pm — Eating meeting at Peralta’s Mexican Restaurant in Quitman
6:00pm — Pre-meeting helping with genealogy research at the Quitman Public Library
7:00pm — Regular monthly meeting at the Quitman Public Library

October 2010 Meeting Minutes

WOOD COUNTY GENEALOGY SOCIETY
Monthly Meeting
Quitman Public Library
October 19, 2010

The meeting was called to order by President Shirley Patrick at 7:00 pm with 10 members present. President Shirley Patrick welcomed everyone and thanked them for coming.

The minutes stood approved as presented.

The financial report was passed. Treasurer Wayne McCluney reported he have just received the financial information and would have two reports at next month’s meeting. He did report the September 30, 2010 bank statement showed a balance of $1,703.50.

OLD BUSINESS:

Deason Hunt reported the genealogy room had been rearranged and everything for the most part has been put back. The machines are on the far wall and everything is up and running. The fax machine that is also a printer for the computer is not working. Wayne McCluney, Nita Munoz and Deason Hunt all reported they had printers there were willing to donate to the society.

The Hwy 80 garage sale made $90.00 dollars and made 3 contacts. Everyone who worked had a good time.

NEW BUSINESS:

Deason Hunt gave a report on an email he received from Delene DelaRosa about Michael Aday, HeirLoom Archivist from Texas A&M University – Commerce regarding digitization of historical and genealogical records, photographs, etc. There is an IMLS grant that covers the software to digitize as well as Mr. Aday’s time to train anyone interested how to use the digitization program and how it links to a central website location at A&M University. After discussion it was decided to have a called meeting for this presentation at 5:30 on a Monday with subway for supper. Deason will contact Delene about setting up a meeting with Mr. Aday to speak with the society.

There was a discussion about having a Christmas party on the 3rd Monday of December which is the 20th at 6 pm at President Shirley Patrick’s house.

Deason Hunt went over a hand out he passed out to everyone present. The hand out was ideas from several members who have been talking about them off and on. The hand out was an attempt to get them on the table so the society could start thinking about them.

Deason Hunt reported he would like to society to find ways to be of more help for the members that don’t live in Wood County. He asked everyone to think of ideas and ways to help them more.

After discussion a motion was made by Babara Coleman seconded by Nita Munoz to donate a book in memory of Dorothy Harbin’s husband Bud Harbin.

November meeting: anyone wishing to meet at 5 pm at Peralta’s for supper is welcome. The group will then return to the library to be available to help anyone with research from 6-7 and the regular society meeting will begin at 7pm

The meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.
Minutes were taken by recording/corresponding secretary Kathy Lutonsky

November Meeting Next Monday: See Times; Pat Mapes Speaker

The regular monthly meeting for November for the Wood County Genealogical Society is at 7 p.m. Monday, November 15 at the Shamburer Room at the Quitman Public Library. Pat MAPES is scheduled to talk about her trip to England for family history research

The pre-meeting “eating meeting” at Peralta’s will start at 5 p.m. We are usually in one of the back rooms. Just ask the attendant at Peralta’s. Some (most?, all?) will go over to the library at 6 p.m. to be available to meet with members/guests or the general public wishing consultation on getting started with their research or ideas to help with their brick walls.

We will also discuss some business items and plans for future meetings such as the Christmas party in December. We hope to see you there if you live in the area and can make it.

October Meeting Tomorrow (Oct. 18) at Library

wcgs sign

The regular November meeting of the Wood County Genealogical Society will be held at 7 p.m. Monday, October 18, at the Quitman Public Library.

The meeting will feature reports of recent activities and plans for upcoming activities in a setting that will allow all members there to have input on future plans. Included will be information on the program for November and the Christmas season party we are beginning to plan.

As usual, members who wish to do so, will meet at Peralta’s Restaurant in Quitman starting at 5:30 p.m. to visit and share some Dutch-treat Mexican food.

October’s Family History Month Activities

October has become the recognized “Family History Month” in the U. S., and the Wood County Genealogical Society has several events planned for this month.

October 11 (also Columbus Day) is our remodel, rearrangement, and freshen up event for the genealogy research center at the Quitman Public Library. This kicks off at 8 a.m. when we begin to moved books and other parts of our collections so that we can get our shelving, work tables, and equipment relocated in the center. While some members will be around much of the time, others are going to come when they can. We hope to finish by that afternoon so that the center can be used when the library opens the next day.

October 16 is our garage sale fundraiser in front of the Mineola Community Bank during the Highway 80 Garage Sale fall weekend. We are looking forward to a large number of our local members to show up with their garage sale items (already priced and marked) to start selling about 8 a.m. We will start the setup about 7 a.m., and the sooner the better on getting items out and ready for sale.

October 18 is our regular monthly meeting at 7 p.m. at the Shamburger Room of the Quitman Public Library.

At 6 p.m. we are starting a “Getting Started” or “Help with Research Brickwalls” individual sessions for the general public or members at the library preceding to our meeting time. We need any members willing to come offer consultation or suggestions to come help out. This is a new idea, and we p-lan to alter it as necessary as we go. Also, this is an excellent opportunity to discuss your research/families with another member for ideas on how to get to the next level of research. Because of this we are moving the unofficial “eating meeting” at Peralta’s up to 5 p.m. from last year’s time.

Covered Dish Dinner for Sept. Meeting

Next Monday (Sept. 20) at 6:30 p.m., the Wood County Genealogical Society will kick-off its 2010-2011 year with a covered dish dinner in the Shamburger Room at the Quitman Public Library. We will eat, visit, and probably talk about some things that we might like to do this year. We hope that you will be able to join us.

It would be helpful if you would contact Dorothy Harbin ( 903-967-2458 – home, 903-571-4965 – cell, reddot77@aol.com) this week and let her know if you are coming and perhaps if you plan to bring meat, veggies, salad, dessert, breads, etc. Deason Hunt is bringing fried chicken and a dessert and eating utensils and plates. Dorothy is bringing iced tea and ice. Shirley Bates and Lahoma Clanton are providing a ham, Sally Allcorn a casserole and salad, Willie Kay Paredez unsweet tea and glasses, Vickie Petersen burritos. Those are all we’ve heard from Tuesday night. Remember, potluck means bring whatever you feel comfortable bringing. Also, if you would like to bring guests feel free to do so.

We won’t meet at Peralta’s at 5:30 p.m. this month only.

Also, MEMBERSHIP FEES for the 2010-2011 year ARE DUE IN SEPTEMBER. You may mail them to Treasurer, Wood County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 832, Quitman, Texas 75783
OR
you can bring them to the meeting next Monday night.

We look forward to seeing you next Monday where we’ll do social networking the old fashioned way: side by side and face to face.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 162 other followers